Woah, look at that! I got an award? How unusual! I was nominated by bamboo # 1, whose list of nominees was so great that now I will be reading them all. Thanks so much for thinking of me, bamboo! I am pretty honoured.
So as a nominee, I have a couple rules to follow. I’ve got to post 7 random things about myself, list the rules, and pass the award on to 15 other bloggers that I like a lot. I’ve actually been finding a lot of new blogs lately, especially since Sew Mama Sew Giveaway Day. So I am excited to have the excuse to tell you about some of my new favourite blogs to read. But first! 7 random facts about me:
1. As much as I like to dream about living in England or Scotland or Jamaica, I don’t think I’ll ever move out of Canada. Unless Stephen Harper completely ruins the country. I think I’ve got a few years before that happens, though.
2. I taught myself to knit by reading a lot of instructions online and in library books. It’s the method I use to learn most things: look them up on the internet until I can do it. If that doesn’t work, add library books and repeat.
3. I have two moms. They are both awesome. I get a lot of questions about what it is/was like growing up with lesbians as parents… my answer is almost universally: it was pretty rad.
4. I went to a ‘school of the arts’ for high school. I was intending to go into visual arts, particularly comics or graphic design. But I eventually realized I didn’t have the same level of dedication that one needs in such a profession. And I had an art teacher in Grade 11 who killed my love of art. Well, art for anyone other than me. Ironically, this is now happening with theatre as I prepare to graduate. Now I’ll (hopefully) be going into Media and Communication. Which can include both of those areas I used to want to be my focus (though theoretically, not practically). Here’s hoping that’s the last stop on my scholarly focus schedule. Especially since Media can be so broad.
5. I hate crowds. They make me anxious and jumpy. And yet for some reason I still go to concerts. I get so scared/ill beforehand, I usually have a blast when I’m there.
6. I have extremely eclectic taste in music. It comes from the fact that my Mum loves all music. We must have 1500 CDs at home, kept in CD books in alphabetical order, or numbered if we got them after 2003… It’s pretty epic. So I listen to Indie Rock mostly, but also some pop, rock, disco, instrumental and even a little bit of country. Right now I’m listening to (very old) Britney Spears and Foster the People (who I saw in Toronto on Tuesday).
7. I have a strong attachment to fiction. It serves as a buffer between me and the world. It’s also a solid way to let myself have feelings, because I have trouble expressing them in normal ways. I don’t cry in front of other people unless I’m watching something nerdy (*cough*TheAvengers*cough*).
And now, my nominees! I’ve added a mini description to each one, so you can go to the ones that hit your buttons most, if you don’t want to visit them all. In no particular order: (all not-15 of them…)
Dances With Wool – crafts, sewing, stuffed animal sculptures
Cupcake’s Clothes – fashion, fat acceptance, crafts, lolita, sewing
Craftzilla Conquers the World – crafts, sewing, photography (and she’s local!)
TransGriot – womanist, black rights, trans* rights
Richard Quilts (or, Richard and Tanya Quilts) – quilting, and lots of it!
Tickle and Hide – quilting, sewing, photography
Pile O’ Fabric – quilting, sewing, tutorials
Finding Sweetland – quilting, sewing, crafting, art
From Pixels to Patchwork – sewing, quilting, tutorials
Luvin’ My Curves – fashion, black rights, fat acceptance
Sew Crafty Jess – sewing, crafting
That Thing I Made – sewing, crafting, NEW BABY!
Stars & Sunshine – cooking, crafting, sewing
Thank you again, bamboo #1!
p.s. I changed my header! If you read via rss you may want to check it out… I like it a lot. I think it will help remind me to do a nerdy nails tutorial for my blog. :) Maybe next week.